[Mulgara-general] Exception on startup

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Mon Apr 28 17:50:38 UTC 2008

On Apr 25, 2008, at 4:55 AM, Life is hard, and then you die wrote:

> I think the point Alex is trying to make is that mulgara never shuts
> down cleanly, because A) there's no JVM shutdown hook registered
> (Runtime.addShutdownHook()), and B) the EmbeddedMulgaraServer just
> does a System.exit() without calling stop() on the server. I've
> noticed this too: now that we've switched to RMI, none of our
> resolvers ever get closed (before our servlet-wrapper called
> SesionFactory.close() to clean up).
>
> I.e. mulgara always "crashes".

I see what you mean.

This is odd, as it USED to be done. Someone has removed it.  I did
notice that the shutdown output had changed, though I didn't realize
why.

Strangely, hitting ^C can often take a long time. I had always put
this down to the system flushing buffers. Does the GC cleanup get run
in the case of a break?

Paul