[Mulgara-general] Exception on startup

Alex Hall alexhall at revelytix.com
Thu Apr 24 16:34:57 UTC 2008

Andrae Muys wrote:
>> What exactly do you mean by a clean shutdown?  I thought that the
>> philosophy on shutdowns was that killing the Java process (i.e.
>> hitting
>> Ctrl-C) is considered a clean shutdown, as care is taken during
>> transactions to ensure that the system can always be restored to a
>> consistent state.  Is this not the case?
>
> It is the case.  However if mulgara is given the opportunity it will
> explicitly release any operating-system resources, including any
> locks or open files.

How does this happen?  Even if one invokes the shutdown hook on the
server (using the -x option to the Mulgara jar), all this does is call
System.exit(0).  As far as I can tell, there are no shutdown hooks
registered with the Java runtime, so no cleanup will occur.

> I suspect what is happening here is that
> windows is taking its time cleaning up after the process, and we are
> conflicting with a stale lock of some description.  But that really
> is just a wild guess.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the case.  In the past I've
had trouble with Windows not releasing sockets in a timely fashion, I
can certainly see something similar happening here.

Alex