[Mulgara-general] Exception on startup

Alex Hall alexhall at revelytix.com
Thu Apr 24 15:49:24 UTC 2008

Paul Gearon wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:41 PM, jopaki <jopaki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Paul,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.  It was in fact a 'dirty' shutdown.  I'm guessing i
>> didn't ensure all jvm processes were destroyed before my attempt to re-start
>> mulgara.
>
> Hmmm, that means that two JVMs may have been trying to map the same
> file at the same time. Given the exception, I'm guessing this was
> working when it was all read-only, but it failed when it tried to
> force a write.

I have been seeing this same exception today, running Windows as well.
Actually, I saw it a week or two ago when restarting after Mulgara was
accidentally killed during startup.  But I've seen it multiple times
today, including once right after I booted the machine and I *know*
there were no other JVM's trying to map the file at the same time.  The
server eventually starts successfully, but sometimes it's necessary to
try multiple times before it does.  It's odd that the issue would rear
its head at this time, however, since the latest updates I got from SVN
were localized in the TQL interpreter.

What exactly do you mean by a clean shutdown?  I thought that the
philosophy on shutdowns was that killing the Java process (i.e. hitting
Ctrl-C) is considered a clean shutdown, as care is taken during
transactions to ensure that the system can always be restored to a
consistent state.  Is this not the case?

Alex