[Mulgara-general] Re: Topazproject, plos.org and Plos ONE

Amit Kapoor amitkapoor at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 31 18:32:44 UTC 2007

Hi Ben,

    Copying the mulgara mailing list and taking Fedora out as the topic is
    probably not quite pertinent there.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 02:09:03PM -0000, Benjamin O'Steen wrote:
> Excellent! Can I ask you a few questions about your development?
>
> - I believe you are using Apache Struts for your site's framework. Was
> this chosen because it was a framework known to you or your
> developer(s)? In hindsight, would you choose Struts again for your
> project?

    I talked to the team and the main reason is that it is the best technology
    available for its purpose. Of course, it also helped that the developers
    knew it well...:) And yes, they would choose it again.

> - I'm hoping that you have battle tested Mulgara so I don't have to! :)

    :) Not a problem.

> I would like to know how responsive and stable it is at high use and at
> high capacity. How well does it cope with updates, large returns from
> queries, large (10 million+) numbers of triples and high frequency of
> queries?

    We are not quite there to consider ourselves a high use and high capacity
    system. We have about 3.8M triples in the production server and do not get
    a lot of hits per second where this has been a cause of concern so far.
    Longer term of course it needs to scale much better and think that the XA2
    design proposed and being developed by the mulgara team will really help in
    this area.

    As for stability, we have had a few problems, but they all have been fixed
    and we have not seen any new issues crop up for the last couple months.

    regards