[Mulgara-general] help with installation

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Mon Dec 19 19:53:33 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Evgeniya M. Sinenkova <sinenkova at bk.ru> wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> I know nothing about servers, but according to my university seminar project
> I must install several semantic databases, upload rdf-sample and test speed
> of uploading and simle query execution.
>
> My OS system is Windows 7 (32). Is it possble to install Mulgara here? If
> Yes what soft I need besides Mulgara and I would be tremendously grateful if
> You could provide me with some kind of road-show instruction.

Yes, Mulgara runs just fine on this system, so long as you have Java
installed. Most (though not all) RDF databases run on Java, so this
would be a useful thing to have installed for general use.

You can download Mulgara from:
  http://mulgara.org/files/v2.1.12/mulgara-2.1.12-bin.zip

Inside this zip file you will find a directory called
"mulgara-2.1.12", which in turn contains a "dist" directory. This
directory contains the Mulgara server called mulgara-2.1.12.jar, and a
client library called querylang-2.1.12.jar. You will not need the
client library.

The server jar file contains everything needed in it. You can run this
file with the command:
  java -jar mulgara-2.1.12.jar

Once started, Mulgara will accept web connections on port 8080. On
Windows it may be necessary to update the security settings to make
this port available for connections.

When the server is going, you can get to a user interface on the address:
  http://localhost:8080/webui/

To load a file into a graph, you specify the name of the graph in the
"Graph URI" field (any valid URI - this can be
http://example.com/mygraph, or even foo:bar), and then select an RDF
file in the "File" field. Once these are provided, you press the
"Upload" button.

After data has been loaded into a graph, you can view it by typing
SPARQL queries into the "Query Text" field. While it is possible to
select the name of the graph using a FROM clause in your query, you
can omit the FROM clause and just leave the graph name in the "Graph
URI" field.

To load a file called "C:\tmp\myfile.ttl" into a graph called
"foo:bar" and select it, do the following:

1. type "foo:bar" (without the quotation marks) into the Graph URI field.
2. select the "Choose File" button, and select the file C:\tmp\myfile.ttl.
3. press the "Upload" button.
4. make sure that the Graph URI field still says foo:bar.
5. type the following into the "Query Text" field:
  SELECT * WHERE { ?s ?p ?o }
6. press "Submit Query"

More detailed instructions are available at:
http://code.mulgara.org/projects/mulgara/wiki/WebUI