[Mulgara-general] Multi Module Mulgara Maven Mission

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Thu Feb 25 18:51:31 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Mark <javamark at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> If anyone is interested I have decided to port the latest version (2.1.7) of
> Mulgara to a multi-module maven project.
>
> I have got an initial attempt working (1 module or artifact so far
> mulgara-all). More work is needed to split the project into sensible modules
> such as server, query, rest....etc
>
> Thoughts?

As it stands, the module breakup isn't entirely logical, but there
seems to have been some sort of plan behind it. I didn't really agree
with it at the time (circa 2003) but it's water under the bridge now.

The idea was for different distribution targets to be built from
various modules. So a client library is built from different modules
than a complete server, for instance. Also, each resolver and content
handler is standalone (and loaded through the XML configuration file),
and so they form their own modules as well. This includes the main
resolver (XA) since it can be replaced by any other other read-write
resolver.

All the same, I have noticed a lot of modules that seem to have been
created gratuitously. I've spent a little time trying to group some of
these together. As a result, a number of server-side modules got
merged into "query". This represents a raw triplestore with a query
processing engine.  The "querylang" module could almost go in there,
but it represents a set of interfaces for talking to the server
engine, and could theoretically be completely replaced, not that this
is likely.

Anyway, I hope that sheds a little light.

Regards,
Paul Gearon