[Mulgara-general] Google Summer of Code 2010, Student Application Submission Period is Closed, Mentor Evaluation Period begins.

Mark Diggory mdiggory at atmire.com
Fri Apr 9 20:00:17 UTC 2010

Hello DuraSpace Community,

Please excuse the cross-posting...

This is just a notice that we have received applications from 18 students
that we will begin reviewing this year.  Just based on the numbers this is
an excellent start to DuraSpace GSoC 2010!  We expect to accept at least 4
of these applicants this year based on mentor evaluations and interest.
 I'll repost an invitation to all DuraSpace Community Developers, if you are
interested in participating as a mentor, please do go to the GSoC Site,
create an account and request to join the the DuraSpace project as a mentor.

*The Mentor Evaluation Period to consider student applications begins
formally now and ends on April 21st.*

Involvement is voluntary and the critical need now is to get
feedback/ratings/voting from the mentors on the projects that have been
proposed. So even if your not interested in being a primary mentor on a
project, you can still contribute in simpler ways in the GSoC DuraSpace
voting period activities.  The process for student selection is encapsulated
within the GSoC site and not made public, so the only way to participate at
this stage, is to join as a mentor.

*http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/org/show/google/gsoc2010/duraspace*

More information can also be found off of the DuraSpace GSoC page:
*http://www.fedora-commons.org/confluence/display/GSOC*

I will clarify that this year, in the case of DSpace, we are seriously
considering that a criteria for project completion by the student is a
proper "committing of the code" to the the DSpace SCM such that is can show
in the next release of DSpace. So, if you want to have an early opportunity
to provide feedback on the contributions that may arise from these projects.
 Then you are more than welcome to join up and voice your opinion before the
selection process ends.

Cheers,
Mark

--