[Mulgara-general] firefox bug and server config

Gregg Reynolds dev at mobileink.com
Sun Sep 6 15:18:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Paul Gearon <gearon at ieee.org> wrote:

> There were several headers that I needed to set or change, and could
> find documentation on. In the end I ran the system in a debugger and

Let me know if I can lighten the load by researching stuff.

> traced through several requests. A very time consuming task, but I
> learnt quite a bit about how Jetty handled requests (much more complex
> than I'd have expected for a "simple" HTTP server).

Funny how that happens.

> >> That said, it can be hard to find things in documentation at the best
> >> of times. I'd love to set it up to make it easy for people to find
> >> what they need, but I really don't know how. It's not feasible to just
>
> I have a feeling that a lot of info should be duplicated all over the
> place, just so people can find it when it's relevant to them.
> Unfortunately, doing "redundant" work in something that is already not
> getting enough time and effort is probably doomed to failure.  :-)

DITA <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Information_Typing_Architecture> is
intended to attack that problem.  The idea is you write up topics (which are
intended to be self-contained) and then design various "topic maps" that
organize them in various ways.  So you can have multiple views while
minimizing duplication of effort.  No promises, but I'm trying to find time
to do a minimal DITA version of some Mulgara documentation, just to see if
it's useful or even feasible.

> If you need changes to the Jetty config, then just let me know and I'm
> happy to make sure they make it into the standard distribution. (The
> general rule is that once you've submitted 2 non-trivial successful
> patches, then you can have SVN access).

I'll do my best, but I'm afraid I'm having a bit of trouble grokking Mulgara
configuration.  If you have a minute to point me in the right direction I'd
appreciate it.  Specifically:

  It looks like the Jetty configuration is embedded in the source code
of src/jar/server/java/org/mulgara/server/HttpServices.java; is that
correct?  At least that's about the only place I see Jetty mentioned, and I
can't find anything that looks like a jetty.xml config file.  So if I wanted
to check the Origin header of an incoming request and set the
Access-Control-Allow-Origin header of the response, that's where I'd do it?
 To tell you the truth it doesn't look like it, but I'm not clear on the
relation of the Mulgara to Servlet to Webserver.  Plus, in case it's not
obvious, it's been a looong time since I was knee-deep in Java.

Second question:  the character encoding issue is a showstopper for me.
 (See tickets 197-202; 197 can be closed since I broke it in two.)  If you
can give me any pointers to the code involved I'll at least try to figure
out what needs to be done.

BTW, do you receive notifications when new tickets are created?

Thanks,

gregg