[Mulgara-general] javadoc generation error

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Mon Mar 16 16:16:19 UTC 2009

2009/3/16 Tommy Ingulfsen <tommying at isi.edu>:
> I don't know if you noticed the stack trace in the original post, but the
> problem was that many of the standard html pages that usually reside in the
> api directory were not built:

I saw the stack trace, but it just said "can't find resource". It
looked like it continued a little after that, so I took it to be a
warning (an extremely annoying one).

> $ ls api
> constant-values.html  org  overview-frame.html  package-list  resources
> serialized-form.html
>
> This was using JDK 1.5.06. When switching to JDK 1.6.07, it works:
>
> $ ls api
> allclasses-frame.html    constant-values.html  help-doc.html   index.html
> overview-frame.html    overview-tree.html  resources stylesheet.css
> allclasses-noframe.html  deprecated-list.html  index-all.html  org
> overview-summary.html  package-list        serialized-form.html
>
> When I googled the exception I got, I realised that my problem is an old
> one:
>
> http://mulgara.org/pipermail/mulgara-general/2007-June/000123.html
>
> Sorry - I should have found the online version of the mailing list.
>
> The README says that Java 1.5 is preferred and that 1.6 isn't supported. Is
> it time to change that, do you think?

Unfortunately, no. I'm running on Apple, as are several others, and
1.6 isn't supported on our platform! It actually works pretty well,
but 2 really obscure tests fail, and they're due to a bad library from
Apple. Also, Apple don't officially support 1.6 yet, so this makes it
hard for us to claim that we support 1.6.

I should also confess, while I write Javadoc, I don't actually ever
generate it. When I need to know something I always look at the code
(and the javadoc source in there), so generating the Javadoc just
hasn't had enough value for me to keep on top of problems like this.
Compounding the problem is the fact that some authors have either not
updated Javadoc (so it doesn't reflect what it's describing) or
they've left it as an empty template to fill in. When I get the chance
I usually try to fix these, but there's a lot of it floating around.