[Mulgara-general] iTQL trouble

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Fri Aug 21 22:40:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Gregg Reynolds<dev at mobileink.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble getting iTQL running.  If I execute "$ java -jar
> dist/querylang-2.1.3.jar" I get a command prompt "TQL> "; but if I
> issue a command, e.g. "TQL> help;", it hangs.

OK, that's a bug. Command line bugs don't get reported as much anymore
since now the WebUI seems to be getting more popular.

Looking at it just now, I tried running typing exactly what you have
here, and I got no problems. Did you type anything that isn't shown
here?

>  Since I'm running my
> server on port 8088/8089, I wonder if iTQL is confused about the port.
>  I notice that 8080 is hardcoded in
> mulgara-2.1.3/src/jar/querylang/java/org/mulgara/itql/ItqlInterpreterBeanUnitTest.java:

That's because it's a unit test and has nothing to do with a deployed
system. Don't worry about it.

>  public String executeSoapCall(String query) throws Exception {
>
>    //URL url = new URL("http://" + hostName + ":8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter");
>    URL url = new URL("http://" + hostName +
> ":8080/webservices/services/ItqlBeanService");
>
> I don't see any way to tell iTQL to use an alternate port.

TQL has nothing to do with ports, so that's not the issue. It does
make me wonder what you think you're doing such that you're getting
confused here. Can you explain a little more?

>  I haven't
> been able to find much in the way of documentation and I'm a little
> rusty on the technical details of this kind of stuff; so if somebody
> can help me figure out how to make it go I'd be grateful.

Well, as I said, ports don't have much to do with what you're
discussing, with the exception that descriptors are accessed over HTTP
(port 8080 by default). But since everything else you're talking about
isn't related to that, then there really isn't any documentation to
talk about.

One other thought I had was to do with firewalls. It looks like you're
using RMI, and the ports for that might not be open.