[Mulgara-general] Unable to load a Krule file into Mulgara

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Wed Mar 26 19:57:13 UTC 2008

We probably are in different environments, as I use the latest SVN
checkout, and I'm guessing that you are in the latest "released"
code.  The trunk from SVN is actually a better option, as it MUST pass
all tests to be checked in, and it has numerous bug fixes and a couple
of features beyond the latest release.  So I'd recommend updating to
that if you can.

That said, there had not been any changes in the rules code for some
time, so this should have been identical.  Yesterday I checked in a
couple of changes - to accept some empty arguments without giving null
pointer exceptions, and to give some more meaningful messages on
errors, but that is it. Other than that, the code I've been running
should be identical to yours. I even unwound my changes to confirm
that removing the empty <argument> was making it get past the null
pointer exception.

So, can I please confirm the following:
1.  Are you sure that the file you updated is the same one that you
are loading?
2.  Are you dropping the graph that contains the rules before you load
the updated rules? There will be no warnings if you add updated rules
to an existing set of rules.  Because of the use of blank nodes, the
old rule data will not be over written - you will end up with a second
set of data.

On Mar 26, 2008, at 12:57 PM, Ghazzaoui, Ramez (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] wrote:
> Thank you for all this. I am sort of at a loss regarding the
> NullPointer Exception now. I’ve cleaned up the file, removed the
> empty argument and added a trigger to the rule itself, yet I still
> get the same error. Clearly you and I are working in different
> environments. I don’t know how we can move forward productively now…
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Ramez

(I've cut the rest of this message, as it is redundant, and it
exceeded the 40kB limit that we apparently have on emails now).