[Mulgara-general] Documentation

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Tue Jul 22 22:28:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Alex Hall <alexhall at revelytix.com> wrote:
> Life is hard, and then you die wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 04:23:12PM -0500, Paul Gearon wrote:
>>
>> I hit the mulgara.org website.

While the docs are at docs.mulgara.org, these are really getting out
of date. We need to move the rest of it into the Wiki, so we have a
better chance of updating it, and also so we can drop the
docs.mulgara.org completely.

>> I'd like for mulgara to not start up an http server, or at the very
>> least an option to disable it.
>
> Agreed, on both counts.

For the moment I'm not looking to get rid of the HTTP server
completely.... though now that you mention it, I suppose I could allow
it to be disabled. It should be left on by default, otherwise it won't
respond to SOAP. However I see no need for the static files it
includes (ie. the documentation)

In the long run, I want to make it trivial to instantiate a server
given a directory, and an optional configuration (falling back to the
conf/mulgara-config.xml when no config is provided), and to allow
multiple servers to be creatable this way (we have too many static
variables right now). With Databases easy to make, then we can create
one, and then wrap it in any service we choose to create..... RMI,
SOAP, the web-page servelet interface etc. The "MulgaraServer" then
becomes a simple framework for creating a database (or more than one,
maybe), and then loading up a series of modules for wrapping this
database and exposing it.

For the moment though, I'm cleaning out some of the crap in
EmbeddedMulgaraServer, as it is nearly impossible to follow. I'll get
to the rest of it eventually.