[Mulgara-general] Mulgara 2.0.7 released

Life is hard, and then you die ronald at innovation.ch
Sat Dec 13 22:24:41 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 04:21:07PM +0000, David Legg wrote:

> > I'm trying some simple code out which used to work in 2.0.6 but fails in
> > the trunk code (2.0.7+).
>
> Ok.  I've got it working again... but the solution is making me feel
> uneasy about talking to remote Mulgara instances.
>
> The problem was down to my code linking to the old 2.0.6 jar file while
> talking to a 2.0.7+ Mulgara instance over the connection interface.
> Once I had installed the latest jar file into my Maven repository and
> updated my pom file to use the latest version all was well again.
>
> So.... this raises a general question... if you have a working
> application that was based on an older version of Mulgara that wants to
> talk to a remote Mulgara instance that is a higher version number it
> seems you're out of luck.  You'll have to re-compile and re-install your
> app every time you upgrade the server.

A recompile of the client is not usually necessary, but using the
matching jars definitely is because RMI usually implies a tighter
binding (I think with enough time and effort we could make the RMI
interface stabler, but nobody's found that to be a high priority so
far I guess); however, I see that with many other databases too where
you need have matching versions of the client and server jars (though
they don't typically break across patch updates).

But yes, this is an area that could be improved and better documented.

  Cheers,

  Ronald