[Mulgara-general] Model-URI/URL Use-cases and Requirements andProposal

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Sat Sep 22 19:18:08 UTC 2007

Hi Chris,

The registry that's been mentioned is supposed to handle the mapping
of URLs to the URI of a graph.  In the short term we won't have a
registry, and each server will need to map URLs to their own internal
URIs (if such a mapping exists).  However, once we have the registry
running then it should be easy to do what you want.

BTW, one of the things I'm working on is changing the "connection"
mechanism to Mulgara.  At the moment you issue a query, and the
client lib establishes a connection based on the URLs of the graphs
in your query.  The new system will allow you to create your own
connections (pooling them if you want), and send your queries over
that connection.  Essentially it's the same thing you do with most
relational databases.  For instance, on MySQL you have to connect to
a server before you can issue any queries.  I've also written a
utility class that emulates the old behavior of establishing
connections based on the URLs in the query, so this shouldn't break
anything existing.

The significance of this change is that you can now force your
connections to go to any particular server.  The "distributed"
resolver makes sure that the query will get forwarded on to another
server, if required.  It will also allow each server to hold an
internal map of URIs to URIs for the graphs.  This means that a model
could be named with any URI at all - even a non-URL.  It wouldn't
work with connection utilities that try to connect automatically
based on URL, but that's OK, as I expect that old mechanism to be
deprecated eventually.

So I expect to see support for what you're asking on 2 levels:
a) There will eventually be a registry that will let you find the
location of a graph (ie. the server that the graph is on) within your
network.  This lets you find the server that you need for part (b)...
b) Each server will allow you to call any graph by any URI (this will
get mapped to a canonical URI by the code that Andrae is writing).
This requires that you know which server to connect to (which you got
from part (a)).

Regards,
Paul Gearon