[Mulgara-general] Inferencing

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Tue Sep 18 16:50:18 UTC 2007

HI Jeff,

Mulgara isn't doing OWL at the moment.  I've reduced the priority on
this while I get SPARQL working.

However, Mulgara does support RDFS.  This is performed via
application of rules.  The rules need to be reapplied as new data is
inserted.  We have plans to automate this, and optimize the
reapplication of the rules, but for now they are stateless.

The inferencing docs were written before we had any RDFS or OWL
support at all.  They simply describe queries which can construct the
sorts of inferences you need.  These form a rudimentary basis for the
rules that can infer for RDFS or OWL, though more is needed.  As
such, you can use them if you specifically need to see certain
statements, but they are a very manual mechanism for looking at your
data.

To apply the RDFS rules, you load the rules into one model, and apply
them to another.  The results can go into the same model the base
statements are in, or they can go into a new model (if they go into a
new model you will want to do all subsequent queries on the union of
the base and inferred models.  Unions are performed with the "or"
operation).

The RDFS Rules also require access to two "placeholder" models, which
provide markers for the system to know to perform certain
operations.  They don't actually take up any space.  These are built
with:
create <rmi://localhost/server1#type> <mulgara:TypeModel>;
create <rmi://localhost/server1#prefix> <mulgara:PrefixModel>;

If you have your RDFS rules loaded into a model called "rdfs" and
your base data in a model called "input", then you can generate new
data to be inserted into a model called "output" via:

apply <rmi://localhost/server1#rdfs> to <rmi://localhost/
server1#input> <rmi://localhost/server1#output>;

The exact steps are in the file rules/example.itql.  The format of
the rules files is described in rules/RuleFormat.txt.  The rule file
for RDFS is rdfs-krule.rdf.

Paul