[Mulgara-general] Mulgara on a Mac

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Tue Oct 30 19:58:11 UTC 2007

Hi all,

This hasn't had time to really bite anyone yet, but I thought I'd be
preemptive about it.

If you are running Mulgara on a Mac with OS X Leopard, and you are
using Time Machine, then you may want to consider marking your data
directory for exclusion from Time Machine.

The reason for this is that Leopard finds any files that have been
changed, and dutifully makes a complete copy of that entire file in
the backup system.  This is usually fine, and is actually an elegant
solution.  However, if you have a large file that changed just a
little, then it will copy the whole thing.  If the file is changing
regularly, then it can start getting very expensive.

This doesn't just apply to Mulgara.  It applies to any system that
makes modifications to large files.  Databases are common examples of
this.

Regards,
Paul Gearon