[Mulgara-general] Lock error deleting triples from LuceneModel

Edwin Shin eddie at cs.cornell.edu
Fri Nov 23 10:25:41 UTC 2007

I'm getting an error when attempting to remove a triple from a LuceneModel:

Caused by: org.mulgara.query.QueryException:
org.mulgara.resolver.lucene.FullTextStringIndexException: Unable to
delete the string '380388447380388444425724633'
	at
org.mulgara.resolver.lucene.FullTextStringIndex.remove(FullTextStringIndex.java:694)
	at
org.mulgara.resolver.lucene.LuceneResolver.modifyModel(LuceneResolver.java:277)
	... 24 more
Caused by: org.mulgara.query.QueryException: java.io.IOException: Lock
obtain timed out:
Lock@/tmp/lucene-2ee319348e59de4b247f3efbdd18e23e-write.lock
	at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock.obtain(Lock.java:56)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.aquireWriteLock(IndexReader.java:489)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.deleteDocument(IndexReader.java:514)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.deleteDocuments(IndexReader.java:541)
	at
org.mulgara.resolver.lucene.FullTextStringIndex.remove(FullTextStringIndex.java:670)
	... 25 more

I've tried this with
  - deleting the lucene-*-write.lock file(s) in /tmp
  - both local and remote instances of Mulgara
  - both JRDF and itql deletes
  - building Mulgara with the latest Lucene (2.2.0) (I tried this
because it looks like some of the changes from Lucene 2.0.0 included
some locking-related fixes).

The insert into the text model seems fine. I can also insert and delete
from the default model, but any delete from the LuceneModel fails with
the above error. I'm attaching a TestCase that demonstrates the problem
(you can use either the local or remote test case). I have had the test
run successfully *once*. Unfortunately, I have no idea what made the
single successful run possible.