[Mulgara-general] RMI server not running?

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Tue Jun 12 15:17:16 UTC 2007

On 6/12/07, Gok Mop <gokmop at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>
> Running rmiregistry *while* mulgara is running
>
> ~# rmiregistry
> java.rmi.server.ExportException: Port already in use: 1099; nested exception
> is:
>         java.net.BindException: Address already in use
> (Avogadro's number of nested exceptions following....)

So this goes against the idea that port 1099 is not available.

> (Which is strange - nmap still doesn't show *me* that 1099 is open)

What does netstat say?  I'm willing to bet that it says port 1099 is
listening.  But if nmap doesn't let you see it, then it sounds like
your iptables are at fault.

I haven't played with Ubuntu (most of my experience is with Redhat/FC
and Debian - and all my recent experience is with OS X) so I don't
know how it's configured by default.  However, given the aggressive
state of the internet today, I'd expect everything to be locked down
that isn't explicitly needed.  Mulgara has no integration into the OS
configuration, so there would be nothing to configure that port back
open (ie. we haven't explicitly told Ubuntu that we want to provide a
service on port 1099).

> I shut down mulgara, ran rmiregistry, and then started mulgara back up, and
> this is what I got in its full Exception Stack Glory.

Yes, that was my bad.  It's expecting to have certain classes
available in the registry.