[Mulgara-general] RMI server not running?

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Tue Jun 12 03:47:21 UTC 2007

Hi Nathaniel,

On Jun 11, 2007, at 8:52 PM, Gok Mop wrote:
> I'm attempting to get started with Mulgara, but I find that
> launching the server doesn't seem to create an open RMI port.
> Regardless of the script or command I execute (either through the
> webui viewer or iTQL) I get this error message:
>
> org.mulgara.query.QueryException: Unable to reconnect to rmi://
> localhost/server1
>
> Sure enough, port 1099 isn't open.  I have noticed that the webui
> is doing some strange host resolving, and changing the name of the
> host that I give it in the model URI, but that's OK because port
> 1099 should still be accessible.

The host name should be OK, regardless of what you give it.  It just
registers the "Server Name" on the RMI server for that host.  The
default server name is "server1".  So the client should just use JNDI
to make the connection and ask for an RMI service registered under
the name "server1".

>   The real issue is that the mulgara jar file just never seems to
> start listening on port 1099 in the first place, despite saying:
>
> INFO [main] (EmbeddedMulgaraServer.java:737) - RMI Registry started
> automatically on port 1099
> 0 [main] INFO org.mulgara.server.EmbeddedMulgaraServer  - RMI
> Registry started automatically on port 1099
>
> Any idea what's going on?  Did I miss a software component?
>
> I'm on ubuntu 2.6.20-16-server #2 SMP running Java(TM) SE Runtime
> Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)

Good question.  It usually works.  :-)

Is it possible that your ip rules are blocking off the port?

Try running rmiregistry, and see if you can access port 1099 now
(since this is the default port for rmiregistry).  If not, then it's
a problem with your host configuration.

If you run rmiregistry and it works properly, then somehow the
default registry that Mulgara starts isn't coming up.  You can
confirm that everything else works fine by doing the following:
1. start rmiregistry, and leave it going.
2. start mulgara with the following command line:  java -jar
mulgara-1.0.0.jar -n
3. connect with a client and issue queries.

If Mulgara can't find your rmiregistry, then step 2 will fail.
Otherwise it should operate pretty much the same as a normal Mulgara
session.

Let me know how it goes.

Paul Gearon