[Mulgara-general] Removing exclude.

Andrae Muys andrae at netymon.com
Fri Apr 13 03:58:42 UTC 2007

My current focus is on the Non-union compatible disjunction bug.  As
a part of this I am back in TuplesOperations.project() and friends,
where there is some ugliness resulting from the current
implementation of exclude.  I'm not going to get sidetracked on a
cleanup job, but it does remind me that we never did reach an
agreement on the future of exclude.

As I recall the conversation we hadn't yet found anyone who actually
uses it - and of those who have tried to, no-one has managed to
actually use it correctly.  It was introduced to provide a limited
form of negation, and one that interacts poorly with the open-world
assumption.  We also now have minus, which is well defined,
corresponds closely to our intuitive understanding of the operation,
and is (I am told) what was actually required.

If my memory is correct we should probably at least deprecate, if not
remove exclude entirely from mulgara.

Do we agree that exclude should be removed?

If it should be removed, when should this occur?

Andrae

--
Andrae Muys
andrae at netymon.com