[Mulgara-general] transaction performance

Eric Hestenes erichestenes at vikiwi.com
Mon Nov 27 05:18:45 UTC 2006

I am working on an open source project which is considering use of Mulgara triple store for social-networking type metadata including community membership, user profile data, groups and social network relationships, comments, and quantitative ratings for all the above.

  I have seen performance data related to the triple store in isolation that looks pretty good. However, my impression is that the typical usage may frequently require using the triple store in combination with some other data store such as a relational database. My assumption is that the triple-store is queried to locate related data and then the values returned are used as the input or keys for an SQL transaction.

  Can anyone provide feedback on the following:

  (1) pointers to articles and/or performance data that describes this or a similar scenario for Mulgara or Kowari

  (2) An indicator of how well the system performs in this scenario for smaller data sets. For example, hundreds of quadruples (not thousands or millions) with associated SQL data.

  (3) Will the combination (triple-store+SQL) underperform or outperform an SQL-only solution?

  Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

  Sincerely,
  Eric Hestenes
  Technical Lead
  NYLS Community Patent Review project