[Mulgara-dev] SPARQL handling of POSTed file uploads

Andy Seaborne andy.seaborne at epimorphics.com
Thu Dec 30 21:56:12 UTC 2010

On 30/12/10 17:56, Paul Gearon wrote:
>>> I disagree. It has a very specific meaning, and the W3C are trying to
>> >
>> >  I agreed with Gregg - a standard protocol is about bytes-on-the-wire and
>> >  changes in state that two systems have to agree on.  How you think out the
>> >  meaning of that state is irrelevant to a standard otherwise you get the
>> >  situation where two systems can address on the bytes and state changes, so
>> >  they work together perfectly well and you can not observe disagreement, but
>> >  if they disagree on the natural language above that do they not comply with
>> >  the standard?
> So are you saying that building on HTTP means that it's not a
> protocol? Or is it the fact that the payload representing some
> information, but not stating anything about how the information is
> represented makes it too abstract to be called a protocol?

I don't think a protocol can talk about knowledge.

The number 1 is knowledge in the right context.   But the context is not
part of the protocol.

> It's certainly not a protocol along the lines of HTTP or ASN, but I
> thought it still had some use.

>> >  I'd say it's arguable whether it's even right.  A URI names a resource (by
>> >  AWWW).  Is the resource "RDF knowledge"? (I refuse to use the terms without
>> >  quotes.) Is an image of a cat knowledge about the cat?
> I believe so, yes. It's knowledge about how the cat may appear in an image.

To a human maybe.  Cats don't recognize themselves in pictures so it's
not knowledge from a cat's point of view.  It's a picture, that's all.

(Actually, I think some cats have be rcorded recognizing themselves but
it certainly isn't universal in cats).

>> >  I don't like the use of "Management" because I think a useful aspect is GET
>> >  which isn't very management-y.  "management" to me suggests changes that
>> >  involve changes in the store but not directly sending and receiving data.
> I agree.
>
> I also think that real management requires more functionality than
> this document describes. You*could*  do management with these
> operations, but you'd be operating with one hand tied behind your
> back. So on both points I think that the word "management" is
> inappropriate. I suppose I hadn't thought about it too much before
> now. Should I mention it, or is it a little late in the process?

It's not too late.

We're not even in Last Call yet, nor has the WG has resolved to publish
so you, as WG member, haven't been asked "yea" or "nay" yet.

Mention it now, or at least soon.

	Andy