[Mulgara-dev] Lost phase token

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Thu Sep 24 21:27:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Alex Hall <alexhall at revelytix.com> wrote:
>> Since this lost phase token is now nearly resolved, can
>> the phase stack trace be changed to only be created if in debug mode
>> (not info)? This will then solve my out-of-memory exception error from
>> earlier.

I'm happy to do it, but I'm concerned that this won't "solve" the
problem. However, it should put the problem off for a bit.  :-)

> I think that's a good idea. While we're at it, it would probably be good
> to move the stack trace capture to the use() method since that turned
> out to be much more helpful in debugging the root cause of the problem.

Only because this particular was bug was internal. These stack traces
are there to help users identify when they are not closing resources
correctly. We're supposed to be closing our properly already.  :-)

In the user case, then tracing the creation of a Phase is the best
place. For our internal code then there may be better places (like in
this case), but it will really depend on the particular bug being
identified. This is the first of these bugs that we've seen in about 5
years, so we're not doing too badly.  :-)