[Mulgara-dev] Lost phase token

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Wed Sep 23 18:29:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 1:15 PM, James Leigh <james-nospam at leighnet.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 12:29 -0400, Paul Gearon wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Paul Gearon <gearon at ieee.org> wrote:
> My understanding is the the lost phase token happens before the
> OutOfMemoryException, which is before the rollback. I am using the
> mulgara-core.jar and am happy to try this out with a snapshot version.

Because of various exception frames, it's possible that these things
are being logged out of order.

I can guarantee that if you run out of heap while in a write
transaction then you'll definitely get a lost phase token. I should
have remembered this earlier, but I've seen this often enough myself.

We can run out of heap, particularly when using Lucene indexes. The
only solution I have for the general case is to simply run the JVM
with -Xmx512m. (Or more, but the more heap you reserve the slower it
gets)