[Mulgara-dev] configuring resolvers

Alex Hall alexhall at revelytix.com
Wed Jan 21 14:14:32 UTC 2009

Life is hard, and then you die wrote:
[snip]
>> Otherwise,
>> if it's a global thing, then I'd add it as a parameter in the
>> mulgara-config.xml. I don't know if these parameters are currently
>> available to resolvers, but it would be a handy thing to add. Perhaps
>> a single string parameter of key/value pairs that each resolver can
>> accept, with the embedded parameters specific to each resolver.
>
> I think Alex briefly looked at this and balked at the amount of work
> :-)

It wouldn't be that much work, I just didn't think the work was
justified by the minor bug that I was trying to fix at the time :-)

Keep in mind that anything you want to put into mulgara-config.xml needs
to be specified in mulgara-embedded.xsd, from which the Java
configuration classes are generated.  Naturally you can't have anything
in the XSD specific to any one resolver type, so I would go with Paul's
suggestion and add a child "param" element to the ResolverFactory
element with "name" and "value" attributes.  From here it would be
pretty trivial to pass those configuration parameters into the resolver
factories.

> However, your suggestion make sense. OTOH I was thinking more in terms
> of "is this an admin or an application setting" when trying to decide
> if to put something into the mulgara-config.xml or a config graph.

I guess it's up to each resolver writer to decide the logic of what goes
into mulgara-config.xml and what goes into a config graph.  Since
mulgara-config.xml defines resolver factories (as opposed to resolvers,
which exist in the context of a database operation), I agree that
mulgara-config.xml should be reserved for application-wide settings and
per-graph settings should be in a configuration graph.

Regards,
Alex