[Mulgara-dev] Mulgara 2.1.0 released

thomas thomas at stray.net
Thu Apr 23 18:19:09 UTC 2009

Am 23.04.2009 um 19:55 schrieb Paul Gearon:

> Since OWL2 RL is designed around rules, then it should all be easier
> than OWL DL. I think OWL RL needs lists too, but I need to check. If
> not, then I think you'll find that it will do RL already.

that's very nice!

>> - when designing the datastructures are you taking SSDs into account?
>
> I don't know what you mean, unless you're referring to solid state
> disks?

yep

> SSDs take care of a lot of things for you, though it certainly is
> better to avoid writing to the same place all the time. We're
> definitely avoiding that with the new structures.
>
>>   don't they change the whole picture a lot?
>
> Not all that much, especially since our primary target is still HDDs.

ah. i had had thought that maybe, since they don't need time to
reposition the head taht might have an influence on which
datastructures are more efficient for eg AVL-trees. but i haven't
given it *much* thought ;-)
well i guess my next laptop (in a year or so) will have an SSD and
servers will start to use them too.

>> - well, this question could sound mean, but it certainly isn't meant
>> so!!! :
>>   how is XA2 doing?
>
> Frustrating. Andrae had some personal difficulties, and his XA2 work
> is unavailable now. If that can't be sorted out, then I'll have to go
> backwards and get it done myself. I *really* don't want to, but it's
> too important to string along. (longer than it's been so far anyway)

oups. fingers crossed...

i was a bit puzzled by this blogpost <http://gearon.blogspot.com/2008/12/dropping-indexes-one-of-optimizations.html
 > but looking at it again i realize that you already finished this
with XA 1.1. sorry for my lazy reading!

ciao
thomas