[Mulgara-dev] Transaction support in jars

Life is hard, and then you die ronald at innovation.ch
Sun Nov 2 07:07:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 12:49:58AM -0500, Paul Gearon wrote:

> A number of you (like Ronald and Andrae) are more familiar with JTA,
> JOTM, etc, so you can probably answer this better than I can.
>
> Using the driver-ver.jar file I notice that none of the transaction
> libraries are available. Is this an oversight? Should they be included
> by default?

The driver jar is for clients only (unless I'm missing something).
Unless clients use the XAResource interface they don't need any jta
libs, and if they do use it then they need the jta library in their
app anyway. So no, I don't think the jta lib strictly needs to be
included.

> I notice that Topaz have gone and created their own
> mulgara-service jar file to overcome this.

That's not quite accurate: the mulgara-service jar is a re-packaging
of mulgara-<ver>.jar to include our resolvers and the modified
mulgara-x-config that specifies those resolvers; it is used either if
you run mulgara embedded (since you need the whole mulgara for that)
or when running the mulgara server; for client-only operation (via
soap or rmi) only the mulgara driver jar is needed/used.

  Cheers,

  Ronald