[Mulgara-dev] Insertion of triples : a strange case...

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Fri May 23 18:07:25 UTC 2008

2008/5/23 Bourdin Tommy <Tommy.Bourdin at atosorigin.com>:
> Hello,
> I have discovered a strange case...
> I can reproduce this.
> Scenario :
>
> - The mulgara database is empty. (filesystem : 96964 Ko)[[BR]]
> - I insert 3000 triples (filesystem : 97508 Ko)[[BR]]
> - I search all triples (with ITQL or JRDF) and I stop the search before the
> end of this. (filesystem : 97508 Ko)[[BR]]
> - I insert 1500 triples (filesystem : 119172 Ko)
>
> Why data files are growing very fast compared to insertions before the
> search ?
>
> Is it a bug ?

Many of the files have space pre-allocated once they are filled up.
For smaller files, this pre-allocation is relatively large. For larger
files I believe the preallocation is to approximately double the file
(I'm not sure - I'd have to check that). Either way, when a single
file (and there are a lot of them) fills up, then you'll see a sudden
jump in its size. This is designed behavior for XA. The behavior in
XA2 will be quite different.

Regards,
Paul Gearon