[Mulgara-dev] committing guidelines

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Fri Mar 28 15:41:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:10 AM, Life is hard, and then you die <
ronald at innovation.ch> wrote:

> If quite regularly end up, just before committing, going in and
> reverting a whole bunch of changes, committing what's left, and then
> redoing the changes and committing again. Or pulling out the
> unmodified version (subversion makes this easy), selectively applying
> certain changes, committing, and then committing the final stuff. Yes,
> it's extra work, but it keeps the history much cleaner (for some
> reason I seem to be in a minority of folks who use the history
> regularly - maybe that's why I'm usually the only one complaining
> about this on the various projects I'm involved in).

I've done this a few times, especially when merging back into trunk.  I
avoid it though as I use patch infrequently enough that I'm forever going
back to the man pages.

> > I'll *try* to make it easier for you by splitting it up.  I won't make
> any
> > promises though (unless I get shouted down).  :-)
>
> Thanks. But it's not just for me (I hope), but for _anybody_ who
> reviews changes.

Honestly, I didn't know anyone was bothering (except Andrae occasionally).
Now that I know that someone is putting some effort in, I'll put some more
effort in myself.  (Promise!)  :-)