[Mulgara-dev] committing guidelines

Pradeep Krishnan pradeepk at soft-point.com
Fri Mar 28 08:02:04 UTC 2008

Life is hard, and then you die wrote:

> If quite regularly end up, just before committing, going in and
> reverting a whole bunch of changes, committing what's left, and then
> redoing the changes and committing again. Or pulling out the
> unmodified version (subversion makes this easy), selectively applying
> certain changes, committing, and then committing the final stuff. Yes,
> it's extra work, but it keeps the history much cleaner (for some
> reason I seem to be in a minority of folks who use the history
> regularly - maybe that's why I'm usually the only one complaining
> about this on the various projects I'm involved in).

I just recently discovered the usefulness of the patch command to
simplify this process. A patch file can be created by 'svn diff >
patchfile' and can be applied by 'patch -p0 < patchfile'. This way you
can save off the unrelated commits to a separate patch file, svn revert
  those changes and commit the first set  - followed by applying the
patch and committing the rest.

This has been working out quite well for me and thought I'll share this.
(svn add, del etc. need to be re-done after a revert of course.)

Cheers,
Pradeep