[Mulgara-dev] iitql shell without X?

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Tue Mar 18 15:51:22 UTC 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Andrae Muys wrote:

<snip/>
> P.S.
> Just so no-one else is confused - the itql shell runs in a java swing
> window, which only requires X if you are running under a unix.
> Unfortunately this does mean that you have to be running X locally if
> you want to use the interactive shell on a remote unix/linux
> machine.  This decision predates my involvement in the project and I
> can only presume this was done this way to avoid Windows broken shell.

No, it was because there was an insistence of having a command line
history, and also to be able to go back over and edit a command line.
These involved terminal commands that couldn't be made to work on
Linux and Windows.  Yes, I agree that using X is a terrible idea.
It's even worse on a Mac, since Swing doesn't go through X at all
(hence no remote access with a "shell").

I agree with Brian about creating a non-RMI shell, and doing in a non-
Java language.  I don't know if you can write something like this in
Perl, Python or Ruby, but If it were written in C with cygwin then the
same code could be used on Windows and any *nix system.