[Mulgara-dev] ITQL

Life is hard, and then you die ronald at innovation.ch
Sat Jul 12 20:03:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 05:19:40PM -0500, Paul Gearon wrote:
> Given the state of SPARQL and TQL in the system, there is a lot of
> commonality. As more SPARQL code gets inserted it's becoming clear
> that these packages should be close to one another. Unfortunately, all
> of this "client" code is sitting in a directory called "itql", so it's
> inappropriate to stick SPARQL specific code in there.... even though
> anything doing SPARQL has to constantly reference it. I believe that
> Alex is running into similar issues.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to change the package from:
>   org.mulgara.itql
>
> To the following:
>   org.mulgara.client
>   org.mulgara.client.tql
>   org.mulgara.client.sparql
>
> For good measure, we'd have a legacy package of:
>   org.mulgara.itql
>
> And this can contain those classes that older code directly interfaces
> with, such as ItqlInterpreterBean.
>
> With this change, it no longer makes sense to have it in a directory
> called itql, and compiling to a jar called itql-version.jar.  I'd like
> to change the directory to "client" and the jar file to
> client-version.jar. However, this is a change that will affect
> everyone, so I can't just make it without consultation.
>
> Can people please respond to this with thoughts/opinions/violent
> dissent. If I don't get enough interested response then I'll make the
> change anyway, and you'll be sorry that you didn't say something.  :-)

It's basically fine, except: why "client"? To me, the parsing should
be on the server, and the client lib should be sending over tql or
sparql strings.

Also, if I were coming to this project new, I'd expect to find a nice
client lib in org.mulgara.client :-) (we've discussed this before)

So, dunno, but maybe something like org.mulgara.parsers instead?

  Cheers,

  Ronald