[Mulgara-dev] Blank Node Assignment in Inserts

Life is hard, and then you die ronald at innovation.ch
Fri Feb 29 04:11:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 02:54:41PM -0500, Alex Hall wrote:
> Paul Gearon wrote:
> > <snip description="Bug #81" href="http://mulgara.org/trac/ticket/81"/>
[snip]
> > I'm inclined to fix it, but I'm interested in opinions here.
>
> I agree.  I will have potentially long-running transactions with
> multiple insertions, and would prefer not to have to guarantee the
> uniqueness of my variable names across the entire transaction.

Agreed. We've currently got a hack where we have a counter associated
with each transaction to ensure this uniqueness, and I wouldn't mind
getting rid of it.

> More than anything else, I think it is important to come up with a
> consistent approach to handling the mapping of blank node labels to
> internal node ID's throughout the software.  It just seems kind of silly
> to maintain these blank node mappings in half a dozen different places.
>   What this approach should be, I'm not sure, but I'm interested in more
> opinions as well.

Yes, a comprehensive solution would be nice, though I think it would
basically involve assigning id's of some sort to the blank-nodes. We
try to avoid blank-nodes as far as possible for this reason... (we
only use them for the list nodes in rdf:List and rdf:Seq).

So, I think going back to the old behaviour would be good, and at some
point figure out how to do identification of blank-nodes across
multiple operations including inserts, deletes, and queries.

  Cheers,

  Ronald