[Mulgara-dev] Default graphs and named Graphs

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Mon Feb 18 19:58:19 UTC 2008

Hi all,

As you know I'm working through the SPARQL spec at the moment.  Right
now I'm looking at default and named graphs:
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/#specifyingDataset

>From the perspective of Mulgara, it appears that these two forms are
identical.  If I had to say there was a difference, I'd probably
characterize it by saying the FROM graphs seem to be like an absolute
location, while the FROM NAMED graphs look like it might be possible
that they are split virtually, even though they're all stored at the
same location.  From the perspective of Mulgara (at the moment) this
appears to be an irrelevant distinction.

My reading of it is that it looks like FROM and FROM NAMED graphs can
be interpreted to just being a simple union in Mulgara.  Do others
agree with this?  If not, can you describe the distinction please?

Also, even if my reading is correct, I'm wondering if the eventual
divorce between graph names and their locations will create a new
distinction between FROM and FROM NAMED graphs.  I don't *think* so,
but I'm less clear about this.

Any insights will be appreciated.