[Mulgara-dev] troublesome bug

Life is hard, and then you die ronald at innovation.ch
Fri Aug 1 01:47:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 08:18:27PM -0500, Paul Gearon wrote:
[snip]
> But just today I'm seeing a new one. Every couple of times through the
> tests I have a small set of tests all fail with a
> ClassNotFoundException for org.mulgara.resolver.Database. If I run the
> tests again, then they all pass, and the next time I see the problem
> it happens with a completely different set of tests. The jars and
> classpaths are not changing, so I can't see why this would happen.
>
> One thing I should point out is that this is on my MacBookPro, and it
> has a TimeMachine backup. Because the tests take so long, and the
> backup kicks off every hour (when I forget to switch it off), they are
> often interfering with each other. This makes each task take
> *significantly* longer. I believe that every failed test had one of
> these contentions happening. Even so, I can't think of how it could
> result in a classpath not containing a required file.
>
> Any suggestions? I have a lot of work I want to check in, but I'm
> scared to check in something with random errors.

ClassNotFoundException (as opposed to NoClassDefFoundError) means it
really didn't find the class file (or possibly the jar). I agree, this
sounds odd, unless TM is doing some sort of mandatory file locking
(does this exist on HFS+?).

In any case, I wouldn't hesitate to check in because of this, since
this is a JVM problem, not a code problem.

  Cheers,

  Ronald