[Mulgara-dev] Re: [Mulgara-general] website

thomas thomas at stray.net
Fri May 11 11:28:54 UTC 2007

hi,

--On 22. April 2007 19:30:00 -0700 "Life is hard, and then you die"
<ronald at innovation.ch> wrote:

> Sorry for the slow response - a million things...

well, i can be even slower... thanks for your response anyway!

> A couple comments. First, I like the navIn/navOut styles, and the
> toc on the left is good. Scrolling speed is better than before, IIRC,
> but firefox still seems to be doing a lot work so it's still a bit
> slow (this is probably related to the next iss
> My main issue, and this may be very personal, is the use of
> transparencies. While tranparencies are great and fun when moving
> windows, switching desktops, etc, I find them quite annoying on text
> I'm reading. Specifically I'm referring to the banner at the top and
> the copyright block at the bottom.

i know, and i understand your problem. it's just that i love those
transparencies ... (which is of course my personal issue). the copyright
block has now been moved to a seperate page, leaving only a small notice at
the bottom of the page which i guess is much less annoying. regarding the
top banner i suggest that you think of it as an area which is just the top
banner, like a frame in frame-based layout, which doesn't actually contain
content. if you nevertheless can read some text there - all the better ;-)
i hope that's good enough as a "solution".

> On a purely technical note, the icons at the bottom claim the pages
> are xhtml 1.0, but they don't validate because of nested 'ul'
> elements

how embarrassing! that's fixed now.

> (things are nice and clean otherwise!).

thanks!

one final annoyance: the left hand side navigtion can get quite long,
especially in the "integration tutorial" section. on small displays you
might not be able to see the bottom of the list of links. normally that
wouldn't be a big problem but since i made the arbitrary design decision
(form follows fancyness) to fix the navigation layer in place instead of
allowing it to scroll with the page it is a problem. during the last days i
tried to shorten the left hand side navigation by introducing a second
level of folding but couldn't get it working (ant replace doesn't do what i
want it to do). sorry for the noise on the svn-list that these futile
attempts caused. so i decided to leave it as it is for now but make it a
little more bearable by shortening some titles, reducing font sizes and
increasing the line width. imo it's not a critical bug anymore.

i still want to change the background picture against something more like
this -
<http://www.sydneymate.com/store/picture-print-poster/aboriginal_art/free-picture/aboriginal_art_goan6.jpg>
(just the background, without the lizard) - but still have to find a
picture that "works" within the constraints of the layout.

ciao
thomas

mailto:thomas at stray.net
http://stray.net

: accumulated wisdom
. early optimization is the root of many evil [donald e. knuth]
. if you've got a hammer every problem looks like a nail
. the difference between theory and practice is always greater
  in practice than it is in theory