[Mulgara-dev] Problem w/ "insert select ..."

Life is hard, and then you die ronald at innovation.ch
Thu Mar 29 07:26:34 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 04:36:33PM +1000, Andrae Muys wrote:

> On 29/03/2007, at 3:02 PM, Eric Brown wrote:
> >>Neither update nor replace have any meaning when working with
> >>rdf.  Updating a _property_ of an _instance_ is an operation that
> >>only makes sense when you have a concept of an _instance_ ---
> >>correspondingly update is an rdfs level operation.  What mulgara
> >>does provide is the concept of a transaction.  OTOH I would like
> >>to see improved support for compound operations.  Something along
> >>the lines of haskell's do syntax combined with a query/operation
> >>monad.  I've been referring to this as let-expressions, but really
> >>it about providing the ability to integrate side-effects (insert/
> >>delete) cleanly into sequences/sets of queries.
> >
> >It'd be really nice if you could extend itql with very simple
> >stored procedures (or even just functions defined on the current
> >session). Of course things always start very simple...
>
> mmm, I'm not entirely sure that what can't be done with a resolver
> already should be done at all.  What exactly did you have in mind
> that a resolver can't provide?

Paul had an interesting idea for a sort of meta-resolver into which
you could "insert" a java class which would then get loaded on the
fly, either as full resolver or as something simpler; this could also
use scripting languages instead. Of course you'd want some sort of
access-controls around this...

  Cheers,

  Ronald