[Mulgara-dev] New "commit" developer

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Wed Mar 7 05:50:19 UTC 2007

On Mar 3, 2007, at 12:41 AM, Andrae Muys wrote:
> This does remind me though that when I looked at the
> PrefixResolver, and given your questions earlier, I am convinced
> that the ResolverSPI doesn't provide sufficient guidance to
> resolver developers.  I have a few ideas, but basically I think
> that it was a mistake to allow resolver-writers to try implementing
> their own resolve() method - or at least to require them to.  A
> _correct_ resolve() method is really very minimal - it checks to
> see if it might become possible to resolve the constraint, if not
> it returns 'Empty', if there exists an interpretation of the
> constraint that is resolvable then it returns an appropriate
> 'Resolution'.
>
> The reason I am thinking that the resolver SPI itself is to blame
> is that people (including myself), keep wanting to do too much in
> the resolve() method - PrefixResolver.resolve() is a classic
> example of this - rather than deferring to *Resolution::<init>() or
> *Resolution::beforeFirst().

Yes, I wrote the prefix resolver.  I basically raided another
resolver and modified for my own purposes, so it structured just like
another resolver in there somewhere.  I forget which one, but I do
recall that DavidM wrote it.  :-)  The Node Type resolver development
was a carbon copy of this process.