[Mulgara-dev] Very large backup file

Ben Hysell BenH at viewpointusa.com
Thu Jun 7 03:07:11 UTC 2007

Paul,

No the large number never changes...same one on every line.

The guids are literals, sorry I did not make that clear in my original email.

As for operations at the time of the incident, I know we were not under heavy load because it was Memorial day at noon when the error happened, however we can not afford to cut off all access to the database every time we run a backup, this would be unacceptable. (We would need to shut off access to our website and all of our processing apps every four hours...I can already hear the phone  ringing off the hook at our support desk :-) )

Paul, are you thinking if by chance someone had preformed an insert or a delete around the time the backup was kicked off and the backup could end up in this state?  On the same token, if a user were just querying the database and they happened to for example, create an ill formed query, would this also possibly cause this error?

As far as the iterator with the string pool, is it possible this could be corrupted?  Would this corruption cause issues like being able to query for an element while it is an object, however if you query for it when it is a subject it could not be found?

Thanks for all of your help Paul, if there is anything we are not capturing or doing that would shed any more light on this issue please let me know.

-ben