[Mulgara-dev] Size of server1 directory

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Mon Jul 30 14:53:55 UTC 2007

Hi David,

If shutting down clears some of this away then I have 2 ideas.

The first (and most obvious) is that you have some open Answers
somewhere.  Is it possible that you are doing queries, and not closing
the results, while you do more writes?  A related problem is just
having long-running transactions.

There is another possibility, but I'd need to spend some time with the
code to confirm this... We have a set of files that map internal block
IDs to the phase they were allocated in.  It works fine, but takes up
far more space than it should.  I'm wondering if these are the
culprit?  While the phases they refer to are no longer valid when you
restart, I didn't think these files were truncated.  (Meaning that it
is probably not the issue you are seeing - but as I said, I'd have to
check).

Can you see exactly which files are the ones that grow, and are then
truncated?  Each file name indicates the purpose of the file, and this
would help work out the issue.

Regards,
Paul Gearon