[Mulgara-dev] Problem with the local scheme.

Andrae Muys andrae at netymon.com
Mon Jul 9 10:50:43 UTC 2007

Well I have just finished spending an annoying day working on
cleaning up the model name resolution code - it really is amazing
just how much redundancy and ad-hoc code there is currently
implementing this.

Good news is that at the end of the day I should be deleting lots of
code.

Bad news is that to do it I am going to run into backwards
compatibility issues.

The current issue that I need to raise here, are concerns with the
'local' scheme.  Currently we support 'local' and 'rmi', where rmi is
used for any remote reference, and local is available when mulgara is
embedded within another application.

At the moment the local scheme is used as an opaque URI
(local:database#model) - unfortunately opaque URI's cannot contain a
query string, so they cannot be used to reference View or Relational
resolver definitions (?def models).  Fixing this will affect any
existing code that uses the 'local' scheme.  Specifically to convert
the current approach to use hierarchical URI's will require
converting all references:

from 'local:database#model' to 'local://database#model'

This email is to ask if there are any objections to this change?

Andrae

--
Andrae Muys
andrae at netymon.com