[Mulgara-dev] corrupted string-pool?

Andrae Muys andrae at netymon.com
Tue Feb 27 01:30:46 UTC 2007

On 27/02/2007, at 10:47 AM, Life is hard, and then you die wrote:
> Because of the time mess up I can't convincingly say how the server
> was stopped, but I don't that matters at this point. Suffice to say it
> must have been abrupt...
>
> So I think we can close this issue. Many thanks again!

Good, that correlates with what Paul and I saw in the code.  As a
side-effect of this I have a recording of the discussion Paul and I
had where we finally realised what the problem was - while that might
be interesting the real value in it is that the discussion prior to
that gives a good overview of the structure of the stringpool.  I
will be cleaning up the recording and posting it as string-pool
documentation.

This leads me to wonder just how many of these informal conversations
would be valuable to release as documentation?  Certainly in a
colocated environment, the most valuable documentation of a system
are the whiteboard sessions with engineers experienced with the
system.  I have thought for sometime that there is a need to find a
way to map this experience to the distributed development model used
in open-source projects.

I am going to experiment with this a bit - but while I'm still
thinking about this I'm curious as to other peoples reactions.

Andrae

--
Andrae Muys
andrae at netymon.com