[Mulgara-dev] File based resolver

Amit Kapoor amitkapoor at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 8 00:00:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 12:22:19PM -0600, Paul Gearon wrote:
> >    I probably used the wrong words again, but binary data is
> >stored in files
> >    for PLoS, and MySQL is used to track the files among other
> >things. The
> >    other problems still apply though. I would also add that
> >managing so many
> >    different pieces in an operational environment is not fun.
>
> Hmmm, OK.  I think it was still a useful exercise, particularly if
> want to store files in Mulgara, so I'll keep the discussion going
> with Andrae.  (Hmmm, "storing files in Mulgara" makes them sound like
> a literal.  Maybe I should revisit that idea).

    Yes. This feature (once we all have the same understanding...:)) will be
    very useful.

> In the meantime, it sounds like you were storing info about the files
> in MySQL, including their locations (which will never change).  I'm
> not sure why you can't just store this data directly into Mulgara,
> using these fixed URLs as the URIs identifying the files.

    Just to clarify, this is being done by Fedora (the digital repository we
    are using) and not by us directly. I have asked Fedora folks the same
    question with regards to storing this information in Mulgara instead of
    MySQL. This will be part of the conversation we are going to have with
    them in NY in March. We believe this is the right approach for the long
    run and will provide a single transaction interface on a single service
    (reducing operation headaches too).

> Can you give me an idea of the schema being used in MySQL?  What does
> the data look like?

    I have not looked at it personally, but can do so and will mail it here.

    regards