[Mulgara-dev] TransactionalAnswer not closed

Life is hard, and then you die ronald at innovation.ch
Mon Feb 5 01:04:23 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 10:26:31AM +1000, Andrae Muys wrote:

> Just a couple of points on this.
>
> 1. While answers are paged, this isn't really relevant to SOAP
> results as SOAP pulls the entire result and serialises it before
> returning.  This can end up using a lot of memory for a large result.

Not quite true. If you use soap-with-attachements, the axis library at
least will do streaming (we use this to transfer >100MB stuff back and
forth without having to A) base64-encode it, and B) store it all in
memory). As mentioned previously, in axis' case the trick is to use a
javax.activation.DataHandler for a parameter or return type.

Incidently, the axis library used by mulgara currently is _really_ old
- I would highly recommend upgrading to 1.4 (this should only involve
replacing the jars).

> 2. While Answers are paged, sub-answers are not - currently line 132
> in AnswerPageImpl serialises them as an ArrayAnswer - in the case
> where we have large results being returned from subqueries, these
> results are returned unpaged.
>
> While 2. does need to be fixed, personally I would prefer to spend
> the effort required to fix 1. to instead add a REST interface to
> Mulgara.

A REST interface would be nice. But getting 2. would be a much higher
priority, and we can stream using SOAP.

  Cheers,

  Ronald