[Mulgara-dev] Documentation and License question

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Fri Aug 31 12:53:17 UTC 2007

Another point....

The license only has teeth to the point that someone chooses to
enforce it.  The only people likely to care are us (though it's
*possible* for a third party to get involved - but why would they
care?).  We're happy with anyone who wants to use Mulgara.  For most
of us, the only time licensing becomes a concern is if someone uses
the Mulgara with:
a) no acknowledgment to us (hey, we have our pride)
b) added features/fixes that they won't share (the REAL point of an
open source license).

Recall that we did not choose the OSL because it contains a specific
set of features, but because it was one of the only licenses
compatible with the MPL which we had been using previously.  Of
course, if there were a problem we'd politely point it out before
going any further.  After all, lawyers are EXPENSIVE.

So, as long as you're trying to do the right thing, then there
shouldn't be any concerns.  The mere fact that you're concerned about
it indicates that you'll be fine.  :-)

Of course, this isn't legal advice; my statements here cannot be
construed as a contract or obligation; etc, etc, etc.  I'm just
pointing out that we're all friends here and want to help out anyone
who wants to use Mulgara.

Regards,
Paul Gearon