[Mulgara-dev] why line separator into base64 string?

Andrae Muys andrae at netymon.com
Mon Aug 20 09:14:28 UTC 2007

On 20/08/2007, at 6:51 PM, Roberto Sidoti wrote:

> Why did you put a "line.separator" every 77 chars?
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#base64Binary

"For compatibility with older mail gateways, [RFC 2045] suggests that
base64 data should have lines limited to at most 76 characters in
length. This line-length limitation is not mandated in the lexical
forms of base64Binary data and must not be enforced by XML Schema
processors."

The standard goes on to note that the whitespace facet of the
datatype is "collapse", which means that any lexical form that
validates post-whitespace-stripping is valid, and as mentioned above
limiting lines to 76 characters is preferred.

> There is another way to get a valid base64 string from an Answer
> object?

The problem is that it is a valid XSD-base64Binary object - and to
the best of my knowledge we don't currently provide any way to
control the formatting of its lexical form.  It is possible to add
such a feature, but that would be more likely to be a part of a
larger project to enhance our datatype support.

Andrae

--
Andrae Muys
andrae at netymon.com