[Mulgara-dev] Migrating Bug Reports (v1.2)

Brian Sletten brian at bosatsu.net
Tue Sep 12 14:40:32 UTC 2006

On Sep 12, 2006, at 7:53 AM, Paul Gearon wrote:

> I suspect that the non-ASCII Unicode characters in one of the
> queries were translated into entities when they were submitted to
> the bug tracker.
>
> The WebUI has several problems associated with it, not least the
> fact that it violates some of the client/server rules inside the
> server, requiring a few hacks to make it work right.  Since it was
> only ever a demo, I would have liked to be rid of it, but enough
> people have told me they rely on it to convince me that we need to
> keep it.  :-(
>
> If we ARE to keep the WebUI, then I think we need to re-write it
> completely.  It is currently using Barracuda, which is too
> heavyweight for what it's doing.  I believe that no one here is all
> that familiar with Barracuda anyway (it was implemented by Ben, who
> of course isn't working on Mulgara anymore).  Given how simple the
> page is, we can probably hand code it together without a great deal
> of effort (or use a simpler tool), and remove the dependency on
> xmlc-all-runtime-2.2.jar

I've actually been investigating this in the past week. I'm currently
thinking of two interfaces: One Spring MVC + WebFlow for browsers and
one RESTlet-based to expose REST services in a light way. A more
scalable infrastructure will occur when Mulgara is married to
NetKernel. This should be fine for anyone using the union as a stand-
alone triplestore. Anyone who wants to build on it with non-OSI-
compliant tools will have to buy a NetKernel license which is
reasonable.

--
Brian J. Sletten (brian at bosatsu.net)
GPG: http://www.bosatsu.net/gpg/brian.asc