[Mulgara-dev] License Question.

Andrae Muys andrae at netymon.com
Tue Oct 24 02:09:59 UTC 2006

On 24/10/2006, at 11:44 AM, Life is hard, and then you die wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 10:59:55AM +1000, Andrae Muys wrote:
>> It is certainly our intent and belief that as long as you use the
>> designated public API's (currently those are the Session API, the
>> Resolver SPI, and the Security SPI) you can use Mulgara in any
>> project you like.
>>
>> My understanding of the license is that:
>> Any changes you make to Mulgara are naturally affected.
>> Any changes that make use of internal API's would make your
>> application a derivative work and therefore trigger 1c.
>
> Ouch! If that's the case, then please list out _exactly_ which
> methods, which fields, and which classes are considered public.
> Otherwise it's a legal crap shoot for us users.
>
> E.g. the ItqlIterpreter and ItqlIterpreterBean - are the methods in
> those public or not? (they don't seem to fall unser those three API's
> you mention).

They are one of the client-side interfaces to the Session API.
Anything that works (or would work) over RMI is definitely a public
interface.  You are right though, we should spend some time
documenting the interfaces to Mulgara better than they are.

As a starting point:

I have always considered the Resolver/Security SPI's to consist of
the resolver.spi package; the store.tuples package; the util package;
and naturally the query package (as it is the core of the Session API).

AFAIK everything required for the Security SPI is currently included
in the resolver.spi package.

Andrae

--
Andrae Muys