[Mulgara-dev] New transaction architecture review.

David Moll DMoll at viewpointusa.com
Tue Oct 17 15:06:16 UTC 2006

I'm reading the Transaction Architecture - Development page (
http://mulgara.org/confluence/display/dev/Transaction+Architecture), and
I have a quick question.

Right at the beginning, there is the description:

"The current transaction is maintained in the variable
DatabaseSession::transaction. If transaction is null, then there is no
existing transaction. Consequently an attempt to perform an operation
that requires starting a new transaction (ie. another query), then the
previous transaction is ended. Any associated Answer's are supposed to
be closed, the call to close(), in endPreviousQueryTransaction() has
been commented out to allow server-side JRDF to continue to work - see
http://mulgara.org/jira/browse/MGR-19 ."

I'm following this (and the rest of the page) fairly well, except for:

Consequently an attempt to perform an operation that requires starting a
new transaction (ie. another query), then the previous transaction is
ended.

Is this saying that any attempt to perform an operation which starts a
new transaction will immediately end the previous transaction?  To
continue along that line of thought, it appears that each user is given
a Session, and each session can have multiple transactions, with each
transaction having its own thread.  Thus, a Session can spawn multiple
transactions, but only one transaction may be "active" (either from
begin or resume) at any time.  From the above, does starting a new
transaction require that the previous active transaction for a given
session be closed or suspended?  It is not immediately clear to me from
the Confluence page.

~Dave