[Mulgara-dev] documentation wiki

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Tue Oct 3 04:28:43 UTC 2006

On Oct 1, 2006, at 5:04 PM, Leif Johansson wrote:
> omas wrote:
>> --On 1. Oktober 2006 13:07:13 -0400 Brian Sletten
>> <brian at bosatsu.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Thomas, can you look into whether the Maven site plugin would
>>> work  for
>>> you?
>>
>> i'm not a fan of it. as far as i can see it provides some wiki-
>> like syntax instead of html and some templating mechanism to build
>> a rather static site and that's it. the wikis are much more
>> powerfull (eg versioning, search, access control). and i don't see
>> the benefit. for me at least using the maven site plugin wouldn't
>> mean less work.
>>
> You keep your *entire* project versioned see, including the site
> documentation. If you
> ask me wiki syntax is overrated but that is just another opinion :-)

I've never been a fan of Wikis for documentation.  They don't really
allow any kind of flexibility of format or structure (which is part
of Thomas's complaint).  On the other hand, the ease at which it
allows people to contribute is quite compelling.

Ease of use aside, I'm more inclined to use HTML with templates, and
put the whole lot into subversion.  It's not as easy to edit but the
only people who are likely to want to do editing shouldn't have a
problem with a little HTML.  Or am I wrong here?